Friday, September 7, 2012

Learned at the Doctor's Office

Last week I had an interesting visit to my OBGYN. This post is going to be about that visit, so stop reading now if that makes you uncomfortable.

It's really about some general discussions with my doctor. I've gone to my OBGYN for over twelve years, longer than any other doctor I've ever had. I really like her. She has practical, down to earth advice and it's frequently related to her own personal experience.

Weight
On this visit she'd gone through everything and was ready to wrap up. I was a little surprised and asked if she was going to comment on my weight. I have gained a lot of weight in the last year, weighing in at 172 at the appointment, and I told her I thought I hadn't been that big since I was pregnant with the twins. I told her I eat incredibly fast now, trying to get through my meal before chaos erupts from the kids. In addition to drinking too much wine and not working out consistently, I've packed on the pounds. Not that all is this is the fault of my adorable twins, but I think they may be contributing indirectly.

She was super sweet. First of all, telling me I was no where near my pregnancy weight, which to be honest, I don't really remember. The doctor said she'd gone through a similar weight gain after having her baby and had a bad habit of finishing whatever her daughter didn't eat. Around the time her daughter turned 3 she got back into the swing of things. Since her daughter was a little older, she didn't mind leaving her for a little bit to go work out. She got back into running and started yoga and getting active again made her want to eat healthy, so she got into a positive cycle.

I've had two false starts this summer, trying to kick off dieting and working out, so her insights came at a really good time. The twins turn 3 next week and I've just about kicked my cold, so now is a good time to make another attempt and see if I can have more success.

Right now I won't buy new clothes because I don't want to admit I'm really a new size. I'm limited to outfits that still fit from my smaller sized wardrobe, but it doesn't always work. I'll wear a nice top that I think still works and then I realize I'm totally over cleavaged, with a lot more boobs than I used to have creeping out of tops. The other size thing that drives me crazy is my ring. I guess when you gain weight you gain in your hands too. It's so difficult to take my engagement/wedding rings off in the evening I just don't wear them everyday like I used to. It makes me sad.

I'd love to get down to 135, but I think that might be a bit unrealistic. If I can make it to 145 and at least have my clothes fit better I'll be happy. I'm using an online tool that counts calories and tracks exercise, My Fitness Pal, I'll keep you posted.

Genetic Testing
Another thing that came up on this doctor visit was testing to see if I was a genetic carrier for breast cancer. I took the test to see if I have the BRCA genes, which could mean I have a higher risk of developing breast cancer. I was a candidate for the test because of family history including breast cancer on both my mother and father's side of the family, including my Mom herself.

Only about 2 out of 100 adult women are likely to have the BRCA gene. The benefit of testing and knowing is you can have screenings more often, every 6 months instead of annually, including deeper screening like an MRI, or some women choose to have preventative surgery to remove breast tissue. An additional benefit to knowing is increased awareness for our family and children.

The test can be expensive and even if insurance covers some of the costs we could pay $375 or more out of pocket. Carl and I discussed it and agreed it was worth it to know, for ourselves and for our children.





No comments: