Friday, March 25, 2011

Cool Concept? drybar

Last week I had a client lunch, my last obligation from The Richards Group to help with introductions and transition of the new team. I call it an obligation, but it was actually really nice and I enjoyed it quite a bit. We had lunch at a little place called Nosh Euro Bistro. I not only enjoyed the company, but the food was pretty good as well. It seemed like it would be really romantic in the evening, so I thought I'd take Carl there this weekend.

Nosh is located in an upscale shopping strip on Oak Lawn, near Turtle Creek. I wanted to be a little early to our lunch, so I browsed through the shops before our meeting time. Two doors down from the restaurant was a salon concept I'd never seen before called Dry Bar, they spell it drybar described as "a blow dry bar." What really drew me in was the design work for the concept both inside the salon and the collateral materials. I picked up a copy of "the menu" and love the thick stock of the paper and rounded corners. I've scanned a copy but it's hard to tell without holding it in your hands and feeling the weight of the paper.



I don't know if a concept like this will take off. It seems odd to have a place that only blow dries your hair, the menu even says, "No cuts. No color. Just blowouts: Only $35." However, when I mentioned it to other girls they've said they'd love to try it since you can never get your hair to look as good as when you leave the salon. Since I wear my hair curly and leave with it wet (even at my salon) this isn't really a factor for me, but even I am intrigued by the menu item, Cosmopolitan: Lots of loose curls. I image it as a sleeker, more stylish version of my curls. For an additional $10 you get a "floater" a 10 minute scalp massage while they shampoo your hair. You get a shampoo with each blowout but the massage is optional.

I thought it was a very interesting concept and must have had some success since they have six other locations around the Los Angeles and Phoenix areas before opening in Dallas. Maybe I'll try it before our dinner Sunday and let you know how it goes.

No comments: