Thursday, February 17, 2011

Culinary Week

I'm not a big cook, but the week we're visiting at the spa is Culinary Week. It wouldn't really matter but one of the guest chefs is Tre Wilcox. He's been on Top Chef twice, was a chef at Abacus and is opening his own restaurant soon in Highland Park Village. He was a big hit here at Lake Austin Spa and had a full room of admiring fans. I mean ladies actually gushing to see him cook.

It was of interest to us because Tre is a friend of my brother's. Brian and Tre are still friends, but when Brian (and my Mom) first knew him he was Bennie Wilcox and he played soccer with my brother on the Cobras team.

When we went to the cooking demonstration, Mom brought a few photos from soccer days of Bennie's parents and some really cute ones of him playing soccer and of the team.


It was so interesting to watch his presentation. I think he's a great chef, but he was so personable and had a really infectious laugh. It's so interesting to see someone you only remember as a kid as they are in their adult persona. I'm glad he and Brian are friends.

As a side note, his restaurant is called Marquee Grill and will open in Highland Park Village at the end of March. I'm sure he'll be a great success!

No comments: