Friday, February 26, 2010

Baby Things: Needed or Not

I have a few friends who are pregnant and a family member who will be a grandmother for the first time soon so I wanted to share thoughts on baby stuff. This is my limited knowledge after only 5 months with the twins, but I put together a short list of baby things we’ve found really useful.

Things we’ve really used:

Boppy pillow
We use this pillow every feeding with each baby. Covers come separately and I recommend at least two covers so if spit up happens, you have an immediate back up. Probably wouldn’t hurt if we had 3 covers.








Boppy chair
Different from the pillow above, these chairs have music and vibration settings with toys that hang down. We’ve used this since they were newborns and now at nearly 6 months, they’re starting to reach for and play with the toys.



Glider chair
Not only do the babies have a chair, but we have one too. I love this chair for adults, it’s like a rocking chair, but a “glider.” You can have them custom upholstered to match the baby room but they can be a bit pricey. Some friends gave us the one we use and I love it more than I anticipated.

We use it every night for the bedtime feedings or any time we want to calm a baby down and rock. It’s very calming for parents too.

Miracle Blanket
We learned to swaddle pretty well when the babies were still in the hospital at the Special Care Nursery, but when they got a little bigger, around 2 months, they outgrew the standard swaddle blankets.

The Miracle Blanket not only makes swaddling easier, it’s the right size now that they’re bigger. We have four of these and if you order two at a time, you can get a 15% twins discount.

Things we really didn’t need, but you probably couldn’t have told me in advance:
Bedding set
We just use the sheets and a thicker blanket. We don’t need or use the bumper padding and comforter. We read it could be too much stuff in the crib and possibly contribute to suffocation, so we bagged it all back up and it’s in the attic.

What’s funny about the bedding is I was really wound up about it when I was pregnant. I felt like the babies’ room wasn’t complete without these bedding sets. I made a special trip to buy the two sets and now we don’t use it at all.

Wipe Warmer
We use this for every diaper change, but I don’t think the babies really care. However, my Mom disagrees and thinks they need their wipes warm. 


That's the short list. I was really lucky when I was pregnant. I have a girlfriend who has twins a year older than Connor and Chloe and she told me all the things I would need before they came home. If I didn't have her help walking through Babies R Us, setting up my registry, I would have broken down in tears, overwhelmed with the idea of raising two babies. I call her every other week to get the low down since she's just experienced with her twins whatever it is I'm currently going through. It truly takes a village.
Thank you to my village, love y'all!

No comments: