Sunday, February 14, 2010

Crying In Yoga

To get into shape after the birth of the twins, I've started taking yoga classes. The classes at the studio I'm going to are a great workout, but also help with relaxation and appreciating taking care of yourself.


On the weekends, Carl takes care of the twins so I can make a class both Saturday and Sunday. Today I took a deep stretch class, it was really intense but a great release. Maybe too much of a release. About 3/4 way through the class we're holding a pose and stretching when I notice the lyrics to the song playing. The song is about breathing, appropriate for yoga, and the lines that strike me say, "if your arm is broken brace it, if your heart is broken face it." At that point tears just start flowing. I'm not really sure why. I think facing a broken heart is a painful, lovely thought, but it makes me think how grateful I am for Carl. He is the perfect partner for me and as our lives change, we grow and change together.


I was a little embarrassed to cry in class, but when I came home sweaty from class, I gave Carl a big kiss and told him how much I appreciated him.

3 comments:

Brandie said...

Crying in yoga isn't all that unusual! Trust me, your instructor has seen it before - something about all those poses releases stored up emotions. And after having twins, I'm sure you have a lot of emotions stored up.

Michelle Garza said...

And tons of hormones raging through your body!

shelley.swan@gmail.com said...

I figured out the song, "Just Breathe" from Pearl Jam's album Backspacer and I just downloaded it.