Thursday, July 24, 2014

What They're Saying Now: The Parent Test Edition

Gone are the days of just saying cute things, which is how I started writing about the things the twins say.

What They're Saying Now post from the past

Now that they're almost five, talking with the twins is sometimes a test of my parenting skills, and I'm not going to lie. I often fail.

Is it real?
Frequently I get quizzed by the kids on what things are real. They like take turns shooting rapid fire questions at me.
Connor: Are dragons real?
Me: No
Chloe: Are ghosts real?
Me: No 
Connor: Are turtles real?
Me: Yes, you've seen them in person. (In my head: why is he asking me this, is he just trying to throw me off)
Chloe: Are monsters real?
Me: No
Connor: Are dinosaurs real?
Me: Well, yes. They used to be. They lived a long time ago, but now they're extinct. We only have their bones, like at the museum.
Chloe: I'm scared of a T-Rex, I don't want them to eat me.
Me: A T-Rex won't eat you, they're not around any more.
Connor: Are roosters real?
Me: Yes.
Chloe: I like roosters.

and on and on…

Conversation Starters
Lately I've been hearing a lot of "Can I tell you something?" They use this to kick off a topic or to interrupt one another. It's a little funny because they wait for me to say, "yes, tell me" before launching into their story.

Independence
I love for the kids to start doing things on their own. 

However, sometimes it's easier and faster if I do some things for them. Like, put on their shoes when we're trying to get out the door. When they don't want my help I get a very determined, "I will do it by my own self."

Well OK then.

Tooth Fairy


See my shiny teeth

The other night while I'm giving the kids a bath Chloe tells me about a dream she had where her teeth fell out. I told her I've had that dream too and not to worry about it. 

And then I made a fatal parenting mistake.

I told her at some point her baby teeth would fall out. When that happens we'll put her tooth on a little pillow and the tooth fairy will bring her a coin or a little prize.

She burst into tears. Completely inconsolable, she cried that she didn't want all her teeth to fall out. (Of course not, who wants all of their teeth to fall out. Parent Fail!) I finally got her to calm down by agreeing that only one tooth would fall out. 

But that's not the end of it. The next morning at breakfast she tells me, "so, I will wiggle my tooth with my tongue and it will come out and Tinker Bell will bring me a new, big one."

Me: "Well, not exactly. Right now you have baby teeth and your big teeth will push them out to replace them. When they fall out we'll put your baby tooth on a pillow and the tooth fairy will bring you a little prize."

Chloe: "All of them?"

Me: "Yes."

Chloe then burst into tears telling me she doesn't want her teeth to fall out. 

Remind me to never bring up teeth or the tooth fairy again.


No comments: