Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Holiday Learning

I think we can all agree that the holidays can be stressful. Over the years I've tried to take a couple of steps to reduce the stress. 

  • Start shopping early (while I still enjoy it)
  • Put up fewer decorations (also less to take down)
  • Let the kids help decorate and don't worry about things getting broken. Things will be broken.
I'm sitting here on New Year's Day writing this entry and I think I need to come up with more ways to reduce stress over the holidays. I'm sick and exhausted but a little giddy thinking about sending the twins back to school tomorrow.

I've identified some of the newer stress points, but I don't know that I have a solution.

Being Sick
Not only have I been sick since since early December, but both kids have been sick on and off.  Connor had an ear infection in November, then closer to the holidays he ended up with an ear infection in the other ear.

Then while we were in Louisiana visiting family for the holidays, both kids got sick. So miserable. I felt bad for them and totally helpless. When we got home and saw the doctor they both had colds and Connor had ear infections in both ears.

At least they felt a little better when picking out stickers at the doctors office.

Being sick sucks.

The Drive
I've tried to plan for the 6 hour drive to and from Louisiana with lots of toys and distractions during the drive.

Now that they're four, the drive is much better. But when the kids are sick, it's miserable.

Spoiled
The other holiday stress point was how incredibly spoiled my kids were (are). I don't know why this is a surprise since it's basically my fault.

Sometimes when they'd open a present they'd go, "this isn't my favorite." This usually happened when the person who gave them the gift was sitting right there.

Every time they opened a present they wanted another, "next!" This seriously makes my stomach hurt. 

They were so selfish, when I showed them the candy bar we were going to leave out for Santa as a snack, they asked if he would eat the whole thing because they wanted some.

Then I of course enabled them by leaving the bar half full, as if Santa only snacked on a little.

Fun Part
Of course four-year-olds have an amazing enthusiasm for the holidays and that unrelenting enjoyment can make up for some of the stress.
Christmas morning tea party with fairies, a pony, and a dinosaur 

I'm still happy to drop them off at school tomorrow no matter how much trouble they give me in the morning.

No comments: