Friday, October 24, 2008

Appointment Fri. 10/24


This week I have been giving myself three shots a day and have gone to the Doctor’s office both Monday and Wednesday to take blood samples and today, for blood and a sonogram.

From the blood test, my hormone levels have been right on target, however, the sonogram today did not have the results we were hoping for. With the medications I’m on, we want to find several follicles all growing at the same rate. Today we found one follicle larger than the others on my left ovary. This is called a dominant follicle, which potentially attracts all the meds from the other follicles preventing their opportunity to also produce eggs.

Because of the dominant follicle and the probability of fewer eggs, Dr. Chantilis has called off the in vitro (IVF) procedure. Instead we will try another round of intrauterine insemination (IUI).

This is disappointing, but IUI is still an opportunity to get pregnant.

If we are not pregnant from this cycle, Carl and I will have to meet with the doctor again, evaluate our options, and determine if we are willing to try IVF again or not.

No comments: