Sunday, July 12, 2015

Health News

On Friday, June 12th I had an appointment with a Dermatologist. She took two samples, one from my chest and one from my face. It was a little upsetting because she said she was taking samples because they may be cancer and that it would leave a scar. Carl claims I was more upset over the scar news, which in a way I can't deny. It's like, your going along having a regular ol Friday when a doctor pulls out a knife and says, "it will leave a scar." I ask, "forever?" And she replies, "That's what scar means"

So, I'm fair, I didn't always use sunscreen, and when I was a teenager I used a tanning booth, none boding well for a clear diagnosis. 

When the the biopsies came back, the place on my chest was a benign sunspot. However, the spot on my check turned out to be skin cancer: Squamous Cell Carcinoma. It's fairly common and now I'm scheduled for Mohs surgery where they take a layer at a time and check it until they get all the cancer.

The doctor told me that the stitches will end up being twice as large as the area she has to remove. Since it's on my face I've opted to have a plastic surgeon close afterwards. My surgery is this Tuesday. We'll keep you posted.

So in summary:
Boo skin cancer
Boo surgery
Boo scars
Yeah sunscreen




No comments: