Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pensacola Beach Vacation I: The Stingray

Travel to Pensacola was smooth, but our first day on the beach was a bit rough for me. We'd only been on the beach about 10 minutes, I was in the water and Chloe was headed in, I was looking up at Chloe, stepping towards her and I suddenly felt something sting my foot.

As the rest of the family played in the water, I hobbled up the beach, bleeding all the way to the towel. Carl and my Mom yelled from the ocean they thought it was probably just a shell but I didn't feel well and knew it was worse. I looked up sting-ray stings on my iPhone and was pretty sure that's what happened.
Not the actual stingray that stung me, but an example of stingrays
When I told Carl I needed to go back to the house and maybe consider going to the emergency room all hell broke loose. The kids were not happy to leave the beach after being out for only 10 minutes. They did not care one bit I was injured and had a total meltdown leaving the beach.

By the time we got all our stuff and the twins back up to the house, I could feel poison in my body and I was a little scared. Carl took me to the emergency room.

They put my foot in hot water and I felt better immediately. I feel silly for going to the emergency room. If I'd known I just needed to soak my foot in hot water I could have done that at home.
They did give me a tetanus shot and told me I had to stay out of the ocean for the rest of the vacation to avoid infection.
My sympathy shot, it hurt at the time!
A bit of a bummer, first day of a beach vacation and I'm told to stay out of the ocean. At least we had a pool.

What made it funny for me is no one was really concerned. The kids made up a story saying I stepped on the poor stingray and it cried all the way home looking for it's mommy. 


All the love for the poor stingray.

No comments: